Who is the travel doctor at Manly Village Medical?
Dr Bruce Maybloom has a passion for travel. Immediately after completing high school, he headed out for a year of travelling the Middle-East and Europe and hitched, trained, bussed and hiked his way throughout continental Europe. That’s when his decades of self-directed travel began. Europe was immediately followed by years of backpacking and working in Central and South America. North America, Asia and the Pacific region have also been frequented. Before relocating to Brisbane to raise kids, he and his wife lived in London for almost a decade, providing a convenient hub for travel adventures. And the travel adventures continue…
One of his children has recently been to Tanzania with a very-well known company that has been organising school trips for decades. Having been involved in getting his daughter prepared and sitting in on presentations, he is up to speed with the needs of student groups on organised trips.
Why is this important. Because you need to know the doctor behind travel medicine at Manly Village Medical just doesn’t merely state to “have an interest” in travel medicine, he knows what you may encounter from first hand experience; including getting sick when travelling and resolving issues in remote locations when far from help.
Bruce’s travel adventures are backed up with a Masters in Public Health with sub speciality interest in International Disease Control. He has spent years both working and travelling in the developing and ‘developed’ world.
When deciding upon the type of immunisations you require it is essential to consider factors such as:
- Your destination(s) and the known endemic diseases.
- The time of year (season) you will be travelling can influences risk to some diseases such as those transmitted by mosquitoes.
- What you will be doing. Will you be staying in a resort, living in a rural village, hiking through jungle, etc?
- How long you will be there? Days, months or years?
- If you be working with animals or living in close proximity to them.