Olwen Forker, Paediatric Speech Pathologist and Director of BackChat Speech Pathology
Olwen has a Bachelor of Speech-Language Therapy from the University of Queensland and is planning a return to University to complete a Master of Clinical Research.
With 19 years of paediatric clinical experience and as a Mum to 3 boys, Olwen provides an extensive level of paediatric knowledge and expertise surrounding this area. Her area of specialty and clinical interest is brain science and development related to Language, Learning and Literacy and in particular Dyslexia. Olwen also works with students that present with Executive Function type issues (ADHD, ADD). She has a long history of working closely with Allied Health and Medical Professionals to get the best outcomes for her paediatric clients and their families.
Olwen has more recently ventured into the Private field and is the Director of BackChat Speech Pathology, a Brisbane based Speech Pathology consultancy that operates clinics across SE Qld. Olwen is currently a Consultant on Projects that target improved outcomes for disadvantaged children and she extensively works with children in her private clinic that are in Foster care to improve their learning outcomes.
At Manly Village Medical, Olwen will be offering the following services all in-house:
- Private one to one literacy consultations > with a focus on Reading, Spelling or Written language intervention as per the student’s needs
- School readiness checks > for parents unsure if their little one is ready for school the following year – this screener will check all essential skills required
- Early years screeners > for parents of babies and toddlers looking to encourage and boost further language or speech development, and improve current skills (based on Olwen’s Baby BackChat programme, currently implemented in Family Day Care settings in Qld)
- Emergent literacy sessions > with a focus on Prep and Grade One students, this session aims to teach ‘the Teacher at home’ valuable skills for giving your child the best start in school
- Parent Education Workshop Sessions > these will be offered at Manly Village Medical on a range of developmental topics including Baby and Toddler “Talk talk talk” and School readiness for your Kindy aged child.